Full course description
This self-paced course is designed for SD State Employees as an introduction to the electronic resources provided by the South Dakota State Library.
It is being offered for 5 CECH (Continuing Education Contact Hours).
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the SDSL databases
- Find and access the SDSL databases
- Locate technical help, training, and marketing resources for the SDSL
- Perform basic troubleshooting to solve database access issues
- Compare and contrast the SDSL databases
- Determine which subject categories a SDSL database fits into
- Discuss the advantages of using a SDSL database subscription
- Demonstrate how to access the SDSL databases
Students may work at their own pace to complete assignments. However, they should strive to complete the course within 2 months from the time they began. The instructor will check in to see how you are doing and may nudge you along if you have been inactive for an extended period of time.
This course will involve communicating in an online setting. Please be professional and courteous at all times when interacting with others in the class. The instructor may withdraw the student from the class due to disruptive behavior, lack of prerequisites, or academic dishonesty
- All students must have devices and high-speed Internet access
- Students must complete and submit all assignments.
Final Course Project Information
*This project should not be started until after completing the rest of the coursework for Modules 1 -3.
Students will complete a project that enables them to promote and continue learning about SDSL's Electronic Resources.
This project has two parts:
Part 1) Advocacy
Description: Create an action plan to share the SDSL electronic resources, that includes an "elevator speech"; The plan should include:
- The Intended Audience (public/school/academic
- librarian/legislators/teachers/general public, etc..)
- The Method of Action (training, program/event, email, advertisement, etc...)
- The Project Timeline
- The Elevator SpeechLinks to an external site. (BUT, instead of selling yourself - sell the SDSL electronic resources!)
Part 2) Continuing Ed
Description: Create an action plan for how you will to continue learning about the SDSL Electronic resources, and explain why this is important. You should address the following in your plan:
- What trainings will you attend?
- What resources are on your radar to learn about?
- Any listservs you will sign up for?
- How are you going to keep the momentum going?